Islands of Andaman & Nicobar
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, located in the east of the Indian mainland geographically, float in splendid isolation in the Bay of Bengal. Once a hill range extending from Myanmar to Indonesia, these picturesque undulating islands, islets numbering around 572, are covered with dense rain-fed, damp, and evergreen forests and endless varieties of exotic flora and fauna.
CLIMATE AND GEOGRAPHY
These islands have a tropical climate. The south-west monsoon sets in Andaman and Nicobar islands toward the end of May and the north-east monsoon in November. You will find no fury of hot summer, no chilling winter, no water clogging, or traffic jams here. For those who want to enjoy boating, swimming, snorkeling, sightseeing can do so year round. North Indians find relief from burning heat and chilling winter if they visit the island from May/June/July and in December/January. Season for nature lovers is May to December, when the forests are lush green and the waterfalls are at their prime. Divers can enjoy the best during December to April and bird watchers during winter times.
• Latitude-6° to 14°North.
• Longitude-92° to 94°.
• Area: 8,249 sq. km
• Capital: Port Blair
• Climate: Tropical climate
• Temperature: 23° (minimum) and 31° (maximum)
• People: Onge, Jarawa, Andamanese and Sentinelese of Negroid descent, Shompen and Nicobarese of Mongoloid descent.
• Population: 280,661
• Highest Peak: Saddle Peak
• Flora: Mangroves, epiphytes, woody climbers, timbers, palms, and tropical fruit trees
• Fauna: Different types of fishes and corals
• Crops: Coconut, Areca nut, Paddy, etc.
• Fruits: Mango, Orange, Papaya, Banana, Sapota, Pineapple, etc.
Day 01: Arrive Chennai/Portblair/Havelock
On arrival at Chennai Airport, you will meet our rep and will be guided to the domestic terminal from where you can check in for your domestic flight to Port Blair.
In Port Blair also, you will meet our rep and transferred to Havelock Island by Government Ferry (the ferry may take 2.5 to 3 hours depending upon the weather).
The Andaman Islands are India’s best-kept secret. Stunning beaches, aquamarine coral lagoons, lush green rainforests, active volcanoes, swimming elephants, and giant fish are some of the attractions and activities available to the visitors.
Overnight stay will be at Havelock Island.
Day 02 – Day 05: At Havelock
For another five days, you can experience the unexplored beauty of these islands at the eco-resort “Barefoot at Havelock.” The resort comprises 19 beautifully designed cottages that are hidden among 7 acres of grounds, their hardwood walls and conical thatch roofs blending into the tropical foliage. There are a lot of excursions and activities that the guests can avail during the stay.
Excursions available through the hotel:
• Day Tours – Swiftlet Rock, Tamarind Camp, Turtle Island, Baratang Island Caves, Lalaji Bay Long Island, Long Island Village Trek, North Passage Island, Neil Island
• Half-day Excursions – Elephant Beach, Kalpathar, Honeymooner’s Hideaway, Havelock Island Dinghy Circumnavigation
• Overnight Camping Excursions (Long Island, Yerata Creek, Lalaji Bay, Swiftlet Rock/North Passage Island, Porlob Jig Creek, Guitar Island, Swiftlet Rock/ Baratang Island, Limestone Caves, Wrafter’s Creek)
• Diving (Scuba diving, Open Water Diving, Underwater Photography, Night Dives)
• Kayaking (Kayaking at Char Nariyal, Kalapathar/Kayaking between Village No. 6 and Jetty)
• Deep Sea Fishing
• Swim with Rajan (Elephant)
Special Note: There are a plenty of activities to indulge in – but because of maritime climate, activities cannot be pre-booked and are typically planned only one day in advance. Hence, the guests can avail the same through the resort on direct payment basis.
Day 06: Havelock/Portblair
You will take the Government Ferry from Havelock Island to Port Blair.
Overnight stay will be at Port Blair.
Day 07: Portblair/Chennai
You will be in time transferred to Port Blair Airport to get your flight back to Chennai.
There is a Government Ferry that departs from Havelock at 0900 hrs and reaches Port Blair at 1130 hrs. You can connect the flight to Chennai that leaves after 1330 hrs, which saves you from staying overnight at Port Blair, if you do not wish to.